Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego is the only state bank in the country. It was established in the period of the monetary reforms in 1924 out of the initiative of the Prime Minister, the Treasury Minister Władysław Grabski. In the interwar period it was the second biggest bank in Poland and it played a significant role in stimulating the country economic development financing the largest state enterprises. After the war its activity was suspended, BGK restarted its activity in 1989 as a bank specializing in servicing public sector finances.
At present Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego manages target funds of a few, as well as several government programmes. It participates in financing and supporting the development of housing, entrepreneurship, and energy saving market. It plays an essential role in facilitating their absorption of funds deriving from the European Union, especially accounting for local governments.
Its mission is to support economy development. Apart from dealing with government issues, it also runs commercial activity on the corporation and retail market.