In 1922, A. v. Ehrfeld entered into a limited partnership with Bayerische Hypotheken- und Wechselbank. It was called Kärntner Kredit und Wechsel-Bankgesellschaft Ehrfeld & Co. In 1928, the company was transformed into a joint-stock corporation called Bank für Kärnten with capital stock of one million Austrian schillings. Besides its Head Office in Klagenfurt, it already had branches in Villach, Spittal an der Drau and Wolfsberg.
The BKS Bank entered the Styrian market in 1983. And the Bank has been successful in Vienna since 1992. The Bank has also been thriving in the Slovenian, Croatian and Hungarian markets for many years. In May 2003 the BKS Bank acquired the majority of "Die Burgenländische Anlage und Kredit Bank AG" (BAnK).
In 2005, the company’s name was changed to BKS Bank AG, reflecting its increasingly international profile. The Bank’s merger with Burgenländische Anlage & Kredit Bank AG enlarged its branch network in Austria. Abroad, it built up a branch network in Slovenia and opened representative offices in Italy and Hungary.
In 2006, BKS Bank’s assets topped €5 billion for the first time. It acquired Kvarner banka d.d. in Croatia and pressed ahead with its market offensive in Slovenia, Italy and Hungary. In 2007, the representative office in Bratislava opened its doors, and following another successful takeover, KOFIS Leasing and its branch network in Slovakia were assimilated into the BKS Bank Group.
The special strengths of the BKS Bank